25.10.07

Shopaholic!

Recently, I’ve been reading a book talking about shopaholic. Reading it makes me think of one of my friends, because that is exactly what she is: a completely shopaholic.

She was my senior high school friend. Back at that time, when we were only seventeen, eighteen years old and didn’t have a part-time job to earn money, so everything we spend was our pocket money given by parents. Generally speaking, parents wouldn’t give too much money in case of making children spend money lavishly. A shopaholic certainly should have lots of money to spend. So what my friend did, she figured out some ways to “earn” more pocket money. She would go school without having breakfast, and what’s more, she didn’t order the lunch, for the sake of saving 800 dollars a month. I remember once she told me that these costs on food are unnecessary for her; only those famous brand clothes, shoes, and bags are something really matters to her. Well, even though she said it’s “unnecessary” to eat, it still cannot change the fact that human beings do need food to maintain life and growth. My classmates and I were all worried about her. We were afraid that she might faint in rest room without being noticed or somewhere dangerous in any minutes. As the matter of fact, she did pass out several times on our school’s flag-raising ceremony. No matter what we said, we couldn’t persuade her out of this insane saving-money business. Day after day, she looked paler and paler, but she wouldn’t give up. She told me even though there were many times that she just couldn’t bear it any longer and wanted to quit all these stupid actions of making more pocket money. However, when she saw those pretty bags or shoes are all waving at her in the department store, she became strong-minded again and tried harder in order to get the thing that she wanted as soon as possible. I’m not being exaggerated. When she finally obtained her very “necessaries” and showed them to us, I had a weird feeling that she had come alive after the long suffering of malnutrition. It was like these products gave her the “fuel” that she needed.

I don’t know whether she still make her every effort to buy things or not. I just hope that she won’t do anything illegal or improper to get the money to purchase these high-class merchandises in the future. There are many things more valuable than those luxuries in our life, and we should consider what the most important thing is.

沒有留言: